Friday, June 15, 2012

Just Watched Ivy Dreams…




I just finished watching a T.V. show called Ivy Dreams. It is a documentary following four Asian American students throughout their senior year as they try their best to get accepted by Ivy League schools. It is a good documentary, but it displays the stereotypes of Asian parents for the most part. The stereotypes in my school is that Asians are the smartest in the school, are going to be doctors, lawyers, etc, and go to Ivy Leagues. Well the series confirmed some of the stereotypes, but not every Asian follows it. 
However, art my school, it’s not so true for my Asian friends. All their parents care about is that they don’t fail their classes and get accepted to college. They don’t want them to Ivy Leagues because they don’t want them to move far away, which is a stereotype but is cliche since the stereotype of parents wanting their child to go to Ivy League school, and they don’t want to spend so much money for them. So here, in Georgia, they push for Georgia Tech, Georgia State, and Emory University.
With me being African-american and colleges seeming to want more African-Americans, I guess I set my goals higher than them. I want to leave the South and go to school in the North. I have the grades to get into big colleges, but I would still need more to set me apart. Like in the documentary, one of the girls said that her mom said that your application is the beginning process of selling yourself to colleges. You can’t be ordinary, but you have to be extraordinary. I know this is a mess of a post, but Grey’s Anatomy is coming on so I go to go!
-Samuel
P.S: Here is the link to the documentary broken up into 10 parts on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2AD19262E93ABE95&feature=playlist-comment

No comments:

Post a Comment